Monday, June 9, 2014

Unplugged Thoughts

"I reserved a site without electricity, but there's a bathhouse closeby" my husband said with excitement. 

"But how are we going to charge our phones?!" I blurted out, cringing at how I sounded as it came out. 

It was going to be a weekend of camping adventure at a local state park. A few days of roughing it in the wilderness, sleeping in a tent (a wedding gift waiting to be used two years later) and cooking all of our meals over a campfire. 

Why was my first concern my connection to the world? My dependence on technology and more so, my addiction to feeling "connected" has become more apparent than ever. Apparetly this weekend was just what I needed. 

I did use my phone to take a few pictures, but we made a "rule" to not be on social media or check work emails. I'm won't pretend like it was easy, but wow, it was refreshing. 



We made unplugged memories that were just our own, surrounded by God's beautiful creation. It was just what I needed I more ways than I knew. 

It's a convenient thing to have a constant connection to friends and family through technology, to share exciting things in life, but I challenge you to set some time aside, even an hour or two, to 'unplug' yourself and enjoy silence & nature. Simplicity is an energizingly beautiful thing. 

No comments:

Post a Comment